Wednesday 31 October 2012

THE ONES THAT GOT AWAY


“John, that girl make sense, abi?” I said, nudging my head towards the beauty with afro, simple make-up and tinny-tiny dot gold earrings (there should be a name for that). John turned and looked at me pointedly as if we were the only ones in the large lecture theatre and I was seeing double. Then he nodded once, twice while looking at her saying, “of course, you gbadun am, shey?” “No. yes, I just dey…” “She make sense. Go yan am”. It was my turn to look at him as if he was crazy to which he responded with the why not look. “See,” he started, “just wait still this boring lecture is over and go bust her brains”. I responded in relief, “okay. You be sure guy. Na why I love you”. “Hey guy, calm down”, he said and we started joking again. I needed that little chat of bromatic boy-speak to encourage and recharge my creative faculty of playing out, in my head, a thousand ways to woo a girl. Then it loomed: what about the thousand girls that were not wooed? What about the ones that got away?
            My first amorous sight came when I was in primary one, when my best friend was named Sikiru, when my class teacher was called uncle Alhaji. She, lets call her A for Angel, was a heavenly being on earth. My innocent mind couldn’t comprehend how she could be more intriguing to me than the other girls in my class. She got away not because she didn’t notice me as I was uncle Alhaji’s favorite but because I let her – coupled with the fact that in the next school year, I was in primary three (a thing called double promotion, mine for being both too brilliant and too old for my previous class. I take the former) and the joy of using biros instead of pencils made me forget Sikiru and A for Angel.
            My remaining three primary school years were laced with affection for G for Gentle, S for Smart and Q for Quiet. G was disinclined to activities although her clique brought out the talkative or, in the word used by one of my past principals, the garrulous, in her. Her gentle spirit amazed my playful and troublesome mind. S for smart was my desk mate for the whole of primary four (throughout primary school, my less than tall frame always landed me a seat in the front of the class, inevitably with the girls). She is the cleverest human being I know. She got my love the day I had a migraine and I placed my head on the desk to cry it off. She noticed I was crying, called the teacher’s attention to it, and personally took me to the sickbay. Although my rationale for crying off a headache still baffles me (yes, I shock myself sometimes), I was glad I did. Q for quiet was just that… quiet. If I were to use three words to describe her, they would be quiet, quiet, quiet. She rarely talked in class. She rarely cried if and when beaten. She rarely stood up from her seat all day. It always ran me crazy until I realized I was angry with her behaviour maybe because I liked her. Although I had a good friendship with S and, to a lesser extent, G, I lost contact with them (including Q) as I entered secondary school. Don’t I cherish past relationships?
            My secondary school life was exciting and confusing. I liked E for exciting because of her electrifying attitude as I had loved those primary school ones. Then it went downhill from there. Attitude flew out the window and my eyes were my judges for liking a girl. I tried to bring mannerisms back into play, but it had already turned physical. I concluded I preferred some body parts to others but still endeavored to use stance and other fascinating details to befriend a girl. There were I for Iron lady, W for Wow, and B for Blissful. Later, there came T for Thin. I (Iron lady, not myself) had a boyfriend for four years; W left our school before we became seniors, and B! Oh my sweet B. I couldn’t let her go or she wouldn’t let me (whichever is less embarrassing for me) and she was nothing short of a dear friend. My love for T almost scattered everything. And incidentally enough, she was a close friend of B. You might want to know, T also got away.
            In my young adult life, there were just a lot of hit and misses, a lot of getting away. There were D for Dark, H for Hospitable, V for Vivacious, M for Motherly and C for Cute. They all got away because of me. No, I did not have a mouth or body odour. I just didn’t lift a finger let alone make a move. I guess I was either shy and stupid or wise and bidding my time (I take the latter). The good news is that they are still in my sights, even now as I’m writing this down.
                                                                                               
The bad news is that I’ve found another person.

This afro-carrying, simple-makeuping bolt from the blue is my next project (I hate to call her a project but that’s what it feels like) and she must not get away. I say this for almost every other person, but there is something about this being, this entity, this organism, this creature that is mesmerizing. John has encouraged me and I’m ready to bust her brains. Oh! The lecture is over. Everybody is standing up. I’m looking around for her. Target identified. Moving in on the target. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment